Philly Cheese Fakes for Two
Mushrooms are the key to this twist on popular Philly steak sandwiches—a nice meatless meal option that’s tangy and tasty. —Veronica Vadakan, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 hoagie buns, split
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, green pepper and onion. Pour dressing over vegetables; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once.
- Divide mushroom mixture between bun bottoms and top with cheese. Broil bun halves 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 344 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Philly Cheese Phakes in Taste of Home April/May 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.