Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 cups uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook ziti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheeses until melted.
- Drain ziti; add to sauce and stir to coat. Transfer to a shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter; stir in cheeses. Sprinkle over ziti. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through and topping is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 340 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 21, 2016
I really liked it. Hubby - eh, not really impressed. I used gluten free penne, halved the amounts, skipped the crumb topping, substituting a few tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese and sprinkled with paprika. In the saucepan it resembled boxed mac and cheese by color. Forgot the salt and pepper; still tasted good to me! Baked in smallest Anchor Hocking pan.
Apr 3, 2016
Eh, I thought it was ok. I thought like some of the other reviews that it was lacking in flavor a little bit. Adding some more cheese and different varieties might help.
Jan 21, 2013
I was hoping for more flavor, maybe another zestier cheese would help, but overall it was tastier than the easy mac n' cheese.
May 8, 2012
I added a 4 cheese combo and some green onion really good. Family liked it.
Apr 22, 2012
Very tasty pasta dish but I added more cheese for a bit more wanted flavor!
Mar 24, 2012
I have taken this to a family reunion and was asked by many for the recipe! I think this is absolutely yummy!!
Feb 19, 2012
Mar 13, 2011
So good. I halved the recipe because I just cook for 2. Added 1/2 pound ground beef and some sliced green onion. Very easy and simple to throw together in a few minutes.
Feb 17, 2010
I made this for Ash Wednesday and frankly, could eat the entire dish myself!