Paprika Chicken Stroganoff
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, toss chicken with paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. In batches, saute chicken until browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, saute mushrooms in butter until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Add onion; cook and stir until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add stock, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half, 10-12 minutes. Stir in chicken; cook, uncovered, over medium-low until chicken is no longer pink, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in creme fraiche, parsley and the remaining salt and pepper; remove from heat. Stir in noodles.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 505 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 874mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Sep 15, 2019
It was very good. The sauce was a little thin, so I thickened it a little. I used bone in chicken pieces, so cooked a little longer.
Dec 30, 2018
A very yummy alternative to an old classic. It was easy and quick and satisfying. I'm going to try with wide zoodles next.
Jun 18, 2018
Very pleased overall, everyone in the family loved this! Only change I made was using smoked paprika - seems to give a little more depth of flavour. We are big fans of smoked paprika here! Have tried both soured cream and creme fraiche - the creme fraiche got most votes. Great way to use up any leftover pasta - just rinse in boiling water and use as normal.
May 27, 2018
I haven’t made this yet
May 22, 2018
Add this to the Keeper List! Easy and excellent! After a week of planes and trains and conference food, I was glad to be back in my kitchen and ready to cook something tasty, but I didn't want to spend all evening dirtying up the place. I prepared this recipe as directed, in one pan, and served with a simple green salad and crusty bread. The supper was delish, but the best part was leftovers in the lunch bags the next day. That sauce is killer! Also, as written, this recipe makes plenty for two supper servings and two lunch servings.
Apr 25, 2018
I chose this recipe to use up some leftover creme fraiche and was very impressed. I reduced the recipe size by about 2/3 for the two of us, and used skinless/boneless thighs and half-sharp paprika. DH loved it, and said so several times. Keeper!
Mar 6, 2018
Very good. Used smoked paprika and creme fraiche with home made egg noodles. Perfect dinner for a cold winter's evening