Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown chicken in oil and butter; remove chicken. Discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings. Saute mushrooms, onion and peppers in the drippings until crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in tomato paste, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken to a platter of noodles; keep warm.
- Add sour cream to sauce; stir until smooth (do not boil). Spoon over chicken and noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 395 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Jan 19, 2014
I haven't cooked it yet
May 9, 2013
This was really good and the left overs were even better. The flavors seemed to mingle together over night :o)
Jan 28, 2010
My husband is Hungarian, I now only use this recipe for Chicken Paprikash not like I had been making it for years. This is not like his mother makes but I like this better!
Oct 11, 2009
This is so yummy!! I used boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of cutting up a whole chicken.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.