Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- Additional paprika, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside.
- In the drippings, cook the chicken, onion and mushrooms until the chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, salt, paprika, pepper and bacon. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine flour and sour cream until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Oct 9, 2016
I enjoy trying out new recipes. My family told me this is a "keeper!!" I always use fresh ingredients to add flavor- mushrooms. Serving a large hungry family, I doubled the chicken breasts, added 2 celery stalks chopped, 1 pkg cream cheese, 2 tsp Hungarian paprika. They raved about it : )
Aug 21, 2016
Made this for my hubby and he loved it
Jun 24, 2016
I have been making this since 2009 and it is excellent. Today I added German deli homemade bratwurst and it added another good flavor to the dish. Everyone loved it!
Mar 20, 2016
I made this for the first time, tonight. The flavor is superb. I only used I bottle of mushrooms as I thought that would be plenty. Because I am not a fan of mushrooms, next time I will add some celery in place of the mushrooms. Thank you for making this recipe available as it quenched my craving for stroganoff.
Sep 24, 2015
I added green peas and liquid smoke instead of bacon. It was delicious!!!!
Oct 10, 2014
This is not the same old, same old chicken dish! SOOO rich and flavorful---hubby and kids clean the platter. What ISN'T good with some bacon in it?! And I usually add a couple of extra strips in there.I DO use fresh mushrooms, however, since the canned kind seem a bit rubbery--I almost never buy canned mushrooms anymore for that reason. But that's a personal thing.
Oct 15, 2013
I made this but without the bacon. Was really nice. I like it with mashed potatoes as oppose to noodles.
Mar 9, 2013
It was fast and easy. I added fresh mushrooms and it was delicious.
Jul 24, 2012
This was fantastic. I think the bacon played a big role in the flavor so I would suggested not omitting it. And for those of you who count calories, according to my estimates 1 serving is about 503 calories. That includes 1 1/2 cups of cooked egg noodles.
Jul 2, 2012
So flavorful and yummy. Very easy to make. Everyone loved it! The bacon makes it extra special. This is a new favorite in our house, I will definitely be making this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.