- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (7-3/4 ounces) Mexican-style hot tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- Prepare macaroni and cheese mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook the beef, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the diced tomatoes, green chilies and taco seasoning. Stir in 2 cups cheese, beans, corn, tomato sauce and prepared macaroni and cheese dinner.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with chips and remaining cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forMexi-Mac Casserole
"What a terrible waste of ingredients! I like all the ingredients individually but put together they were horrible."
"Very good and filling too!"
"Awesome! I have made other mac/hamburger recipes but this is, by far, the best. I subbed Morning Star Crumbles for the hamburger because I'm a vegetarian. Husband didn't even notice. I have never purchased hot tomato sauce, so I subbed salsa which I always have!"
"I thought it was a great recipe with the possible exception of too much cheese. I cut it back to 1/2 cup of cheese and sprinkled it on top instead of mixing it in."
"Delicious. My kids even liked it. We did regular diced tomatoes and left off the tortilla chips, and it was outstanding. Also used ground turkey."
"My son says he needs this recipe when he returns to college. That's a five-star endorsement."