Mediterranean Pastry Pinwheels
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unfold puff pastry; roll and trim into a 10-in. square.
- Beat cream cheese and pesto until smooth; stir in remaining ingredients. Spread cheese mixture on pastry to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style. Freeze 30 minutes. Cut crosswise into 16 slices.
- Bake cut side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pastry slices on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, preheat oven to 400°; bake pastries until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 170 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 24, 2018
These were VERY yummy! I got as much of the oil out of the sun-dried tomatoes as I could because I didn't want an oily mess. Instead of provolone I used mozzarella and it still tasted great! After rolling it up, I used a bit of water to try to seal the edge so it wouldn't open too much when baking it later. I made half to freeze as a quick lunch/dinner after my surgery and half as a dinner to eat right then. The only issue I had was, when baking, the inside parts of the pastry spiral were still kind of gummy but the outer part of the pastry was getting a bit crispy. I know my oven runs hot, so I always lower the temp in recipes to compensate (which I did here), so I don't believe it has to do with my oven's temp. Maybe I need to lower the temp more and cook it longer? Not sure how to fix that issue.To JohnS: when I opened the puff pastry, it was only about 9" on each side. I used a rolling pin over the pastry, increasing each side's length.
Dec 15, 2017
What does it mean to "roll into a 10-in. square."...?
Sep 12, 2017
Fun to make and yummy to eat. One can serve them as an appetizer or as a nice light lunch. Just add a green salad and your meal is complete. Only a glass of white wine is needed.Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor
Sep 4, 2017
These yummy pinwheels are great for an appetizer, light lunch, or even an accompaniment to brunch! Made them exactly as directed. Easy to put together and pretty on the plate! A keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.