Basic Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half; add cocoa to one portion. Divide each portion in half. On a baking sheet, roll out each portion between waxed paper into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove waxed paper. Place one chocolate rectangle over a plain rectangle. Roll up tightly, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 153 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 2, 2016
Wonderful recipe!It was fun to make!I personally would use less sugar...It took me little bit more then 10-12 min to bake,but we all have different ovens...Cookies came out tasty and beautiful!They were hit in my family:)
Oct 27, 2015
Great recipe and result. I thought the dough was a little wet so I added a 1/4 cup extra of flour. Will make again
Aug 27, 2015
Never have I baked such an awful cookie recipe, the dough does not hold and crumbles to the touch. I couldn't roll the chocolate portion it crumbled so much! When came the time to roll all of it, I found that the best thing to do was TO KEEP THE WAX PAPER ON! that way I could roll it like a sushi without it breaking apart. Cutting into cookies after 2 hours in the fridge wasn't so bad... but a lot of food was yet again wasted. At least the tasteis good! But I wouldn't bake these cookies even with that.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.