I love tiramisu and I wanted to make one with summer flavors. I swapped the Grand Marnier and Malibu rum for the usual coffee liqueur, giving a tropical twist. —Carla Mendres, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1/2 cup coconut rum or orange juice plus 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (7 ounces) crisp ladyfinger cookies
- 2 medium ripe mangoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, combine egg yolks, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and 1/2 cup cream. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until thick and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from heat; whisk in mascarpone cheese until almost smooth. In another bowl, beat remaining 1-1/2 cups cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture.
- Cut oranges crosswise in half; squeeze juice from oranges into a shallow bowl. Stir in rum, orange liqueur and vanilla.
- Quickly dip half of the ladyfingers into rum mixture and place in the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan. Top with half of the mascarpone mixture and half of the mango slices. Repeat layers. Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours or overnight. To serve, loosen and remove rim.