Hot Chocolate Tiramisu
Instead of using coffee and rum, I let cinnamon shine in this tiramisu. It's best if eaten within two days—if it even lasts that long! —Cathy Geniti, Saratoga Springs, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 45 crisp ladyfinger cookies (about 13 ounces)
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- For hot cocoa, in a small saucepan, mix cocoa, sugar and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in milk until blended; transfer to a shallow bowl. Cool completely.
- For tiramisu, in a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until blended. Place over simmering water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. With the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, beat on high speed until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Add mascarpone, beat on medium speed until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- In another bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture.
- To assemble, spread one-third of the cream mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Quickly dip half of the ladyfingers halfway into cooled hot cocoa; arrange over cream. Repeat layers. Spread with remaining cream mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and cinnamon. Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours or overnight.
Editor's Note: This recipe was prepared with Alessi brand ladyfinger cookies
Editor's NoteThis recipe was prepared with Alessi brand ladyfinger cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 638 calories, 46g fat (25g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Tiramisu in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.