Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) ladyfingers, split
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon baking cocoa
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping; set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, egg whites and water in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Fold into cream cheese mixture.
- Arrange half of ladyfingers in an ungreased 11x7-in. dish. Combine the boiling water, coffee liqueur, coffee granules and remaining sugar; brush half of mixture over ladyfingers. Top with half of cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Spread remaining whipped topping over the top; sprinkle with cocoa. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 223 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 17, 2018
Can the heating of the egg whites be skipped? Just whip?
Aug 30, 2016
Meeksfam,You could but you won't have the texture or the volume you'll get from the ladyfingers.
Aug 29, 2016
Has anyone made this the night before? Will it hold up for 24 hours? Hoping to get some party food cooked the night before it will be served. Thank you!
Apr 4, 2014
I to subsituted whipped cream and also used Kahlua Fantastic
Mar 31, 2014
I substituted whipped real cream for the chemical version and it is terrific.Don't like the chemical taste of artificial toppings they are really dangerous look atthe ingredients.
Mar 31, 2014
Delicious and easy to prepare. Used Kahlua, pinch of anisette sugar and Italian lady fingers (Real Tortino). This is a popular dessert in our family circle. Thanks. Edie
Mar 30, 2014
kk104 - I know your question is old, but I believe they are heating the egg whites to pasteurize them. You beat them on low speed while heating them to 160º to keep them from cooking. Once they reach 160º, you remove them from the heat and beat them until stiff peaks. I had no problem with beating them to stiff peaks. It did take a little longer than usual, however. I used homemade ladyfingers and marscarpone cheese in mine. It was really good!
May 5, 2013
Can someone explain the heating and beating process to form the peaks on the stove mixture. I could not get mine to do that!
Dec 13, 2012
Made this yesterday for a Pre-Christmas dinner with friends. It was a hit.
May 27, 2011
You can also find lady fingers in the fresh fruit area of your grocery store. Sometimes they are also in the bakery section.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.