Kimchi Fried Rice
Forget ordinary fried rice! Kimchi fried rice is just as easy, but it packs a flavorful punch. This is a great use for leftovers, too. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup kimchi, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/4 cup kimchi juice
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 cups leftover short grain rice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 large eggs
- Optional toppings: sliced nori, green onions and black sesame seeds
- In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 2-4 minutes. Add kimchi, carrots, kimchi juice, garlic and ginger; cook 2 minutes longer. Add rice, green onions, soy sauce and sesame oil; heat through, stirring frequently.
- In another large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium-high heat. Break eggs, one at a time, into pan; reduce heat to low. Cook until desired doneness, turning after whites are set if desired. Serve over rice. If desired, sprinkle with with seaweed, sesame seeds and green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup fried rice with 1 egg: 331 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Kimchi Fried Rice in Fast Track 2019