Italian-Style Beef Liver
My family loves liver, but I get tired of serving the standard liver and onions. Here a rich tomato sauce makes the liver nice and tender.—Mina Dyck, Boissevain, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound beef liver, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine flour and salt; toss with liver. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a skillet, cook liver until no longer pink. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and celery in remaining oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add liver and heat through. Discard bay leaf.
- Serve over spaghetti; sprinkle with cheese.
Originally published as Italian-Style Beef Liver in Taste of Home February/March 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.