Liver Skillet Supper
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon onion salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound beef liver
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onions, thinly sliced
- Green pepper rings, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain; reserve drippings in skillet. Combine flour and half of the garlic salt, onion salt and pepper. Cut liver into 2-in. x 1/2-in. strips; dredge in the flour mixture, coating well. Lightly brown liver in drippings. Add potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with remaining seasonings; cook until the potatoes are browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Crumble bacon over top. Garnish with green pepper rings if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 540 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 278mg cholesterol, 882mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 29g protein.
Oct 22, 2014
Good with venison liver.
Aug 25, 2014
I tried this with some liver I had in the freezer from a half beef I had. Not our type of meal I guess. We didn't like it.
Mar 6, 2014
II bought Beef liver at the store when I meant to buy chicken liver. Well, I looked up this recipe and made it right away, it is delicious!! I cooked it in coconut oil instead of bacon. The meat is so tender!!! Even people who thought they did not like Beef Liver have liked this, me included!!Thank you!!
Jan 4, 2014
I myself have NEVER liked liver but my husband is just the opposite. This recipe has changed my mind. I even went back for a second helping! It is really good! I think that the bacon and potatoes make it so good. You really have to try it!! I have found out from others that soaking the liver strips in milk for a couple of hours takes that bitter taste away. Believe me, it is even good cold!!!
Aug 30, 2012
I like liver, my husband does not. I'd like to think the liver does not *stand out* in this dish before making it. Has anyone tried it with satisfying results?
Oct 24, 2009
I am a liver lover, and it is so very hard to find liver recipes!! This one was excellent! Instead of garlic salt and onion salt, I used garlic powder & onion powder, adding a little salt to each to reach the tsp measurements. I used 4 unpeeled large potatoes. (I do not like green peppers, so they were not used.) Not wanting to overcook the liver, I was careful not to brown it for very long in the beginning, because I knew the potatoes would take some time to cook. After all assembled, I covered this and cooked it on med to med-low (again not to overcook the liver), and although I didn't time it, it probably took around 45 minutes (stirring every 10 minutes), until the potatoes were tender. The end result was very good, and my kid - my 20-year old cat :) - gives it a big thumbs up! -Lori in WI.
Sep 15, 2008
My husband proclaimed this recipe "the best liver he's ever had."
Jan 5, 2008
This is such a wonderful recipe. Lovers of liver will think they are in heaven. Even those a bit squeamish about liver who try it say it's good, and I notice they eat all they take. This has become my #1 way to prepare liver.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.