Pressure-Cooker Round Steak Italiano
My mom used to make a similar version of this wonderful dish, and I’ve always enjoyed it. The gravy is especially dense and flavorful. —Deanne Stephens, McMinnville, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes (7 to 8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces; place in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, broth, soup mix, oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic powder and pepper; pour over meat. Scrub and pierce potatoes; place over meat.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 15 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Press cancel. A thermometer inserted into beef should read at least 160°. Remove meat and potatoes; keep warm.
- For gravy, skim fat from cooking juices; return to pressure cooker. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pressure cooker. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with meat and potatoes.