Italian Leg of Lamb
When this pleasantly seasoned roast appears on my Easter table, no one walks away hungry. Garlic, lemon juice and seasonings make each bite of this succulent lamb irresistible.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil and seasonings. Pour half of the marinade into a shallow dish; add lamb. Turn to coat; cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade from lamb. Place lamb fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/4 to 3 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium, a thermometer should read 140° for medium; medium-well, 145°), basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Originally published as Italian Leg of Lamb in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001