Leg of Lamb
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 leg of lamb (3 to 4 pounds)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cut five slits in the meat; insert garlic. Combine salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder; rub over meat. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Broil 5-6 in. from the heat until browned; turn and brown the other side. Turn oven to 350°. Add 1/2 cup water to pan. Cover and bake for 25 minutes per pound or until internal temperature reaches 140° for medium or 145° for medium-well. Remove to carving board and keep warm. Pour pan drippings into a large measuring cup, scraping brown bits. Skim fat; reserving 1/4 cup in a saucepan; add flour. Add water to drippings to equals 2 cups; add all at once to flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes more. Slice lamb and serve with gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 157 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein.
Jan 24, 2016
My husband had 2 enormous plates of this and still asked for more! I used apple cider instead of water (just seemed like a good idea and we happened to have some), and it added a lovely richness to the gravy, but I'm sure water would be good too. The lamb was ultra moist, and I could have pulled it off the bone with a fork, it was so tender. The spices were perfect with the lamb. What more can I say? This is worth a try!
Nov 25, 2012
this recipe is quick and easy. doesnt dry out the lamb either. will make i again
Apr 26, 2012
This was the first time i made a lamb roast - turned out lovely. Will definately be using this simple recipe again next time