- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Cut four 20-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, 1 cup spaghetti sauce, egg, onion, and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in the center of the strips.
- Spoon remaining spaghetti sauce over meat loaf. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHealthy Slow-Cooked Meat Loaf
"My husband really liked the flavor of this meatloaf. However, he did miss the texture normally associated with this dish. When we have this again, and we will, I will probably use fresh chopped onion instead of dried and add some chopped green pepper. Thank you for an easy and delicious recipe."
"delicious, moist and SO easy to do! Loved it!!"
"This sounds like a good recipe. I would use a slow cooker bag inplace of the foil strips."
"I hesitate to try this recipe due to aluminum strips used to line slow cooker. Acidic tomato sauce and foil don`t mix in my opinion"
"This meatloaf was good! Since my family is on a low sodium diet I used half of low sodium spaghetti sauce and half of the regular spaghetti sauce and it still tasted good. I also did not use salt. Thanks for the recipe. Will use again :-)"
"My husband doesn't usually care for meat loaf but he liked this one. It was very easy and did cook for us in 3.5 hours. I was pleasantly surprised that it tasted like meatloaf with just a slight Italian edge. I was afraid the spaghetti sauce would be overpowering."
"Very tasty but took longer to cook than the suggested 3-4 hours in my slow cooker - about 6 hours at low"
"flavor is very good but the texture was a little to smooth for us. Next time we are adding chopped onions. But there will be a next time, very easy for a busy day."