Gouda Spinach Quiche
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Line a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim and flute edge. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Place on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a skillet, saute the onion in butter until tender. Stir in spinach. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle cheese and bacon into crust; top with spinach mixture. In a bowl, beat eggs. Add the cream, salt and pepper; mix well. Carefully pour into crust.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 409 calories, 31g fat (15g saturated fat), 173mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Nov 17, 2013
This may be my all-time favorite quiche. We did eliminate the bacon, add 1/2 cup mozarella cheese and 3/4 cup chopped baby portabellas. Cooking time was closer to an hour. My noncommental husband said, "This is delicious!"
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.