Cheddar Cauliflower Quiche
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold whole milk
- 4 cups chopped fresh cauliflower, cooked
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap dough. On a floured surface; roll out to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Place in pie plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Spoon cauliflower into crust; top with almonds. In a blender, combine eggs, milk, mayonnaise, 1-1/4 cups cheese, nutmeg and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Pour over almonds; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise in this recipe.
Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 518 calories, 41g fat (12g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 22, 2013
This recipe is terrific. I ended up cutting it in half as it's only me. I would definitely make this for a party or dinner with friends. It's in the recipe box now. I did not make any substitutions. I just didn't make the crust.
Jul 17, 2012
My husband and I are on the low carb diet so I made this without the crust. I also used half sharp cheddar and half swiss instead of the 6oz. cheddar and it was wonderful! I will make this again and again.