Cheddar Cauliflower Quiche
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold whole milk
- 4 cups chopped fresh cauliflower, cooked
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap dough. On a floured surface; roll out to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Place in pie plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Spoon cauliflower into crust; top with almonds. In a blender, combine eggs, milk, mayonnaise, 1-1/4 cups cheese, nutmeg and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Pour over almonds; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise in this recipe.
Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 518 calories, 41g fat (12g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Sep 22, 2013
This recipe is terrific. I ended up cutting it in half as it's only me. I would definitely make this for a party or dinner with friends. It's in the recipe box now. I did not make any substitutions. I just didn't make the crust.
Jul 17, 2012
My husband and I are on the low carb diet so I made this without the crust. I also used half sharp cheddar and half swiss instead of the 6oz. cheddar and it was wonderful! I will make this again and again.