Cheesy Zucchini Quiche
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir until tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs and seasonings until blended. Stir in cheese and zucchini mixture. Spread mustard over pastry shell; add filling.
- Bake on a lower oven rack until a knife inserted in center comes out clean and crust is golden brown, 35-40 minutes. If needed, cover edge loosely with foil during last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 332 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 559mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 18, 2019
I've made this for years. It was a Pillsbury bakeoff winner many years ago during crescent rolls. I substitute shredded Italian Cheese blend and use 2 Tbls of dried parsley flakes, as well as 6 cups of sliced zucchini to make a very large 12" zucchini pie.
Dec 29, 2018
Delicious recipe!! It was a hit! I calculated the nutrition facts for the recipe and got different values...lower numbers actually. I originally calculated it because I substituted olive oil for butter and wanted to compare the two. I ended up calculating the original recipe as well and found a different number profile. I'm an RDN, so I do this sometimes. I got lower calories, sat fat, cholesterol and sodium..numbers that might make this more appealing than it already is! Just wanted to let you know - I don't expect this to be posted.
Oct 15, 2017
men in the family loved it. will make it again.
Aug 22, 2017
Made this tonight without the crust, and it was delicious. I spread the mustard on the bottom of the pie plate and it gives the recipe a little zip with each taste.
Aug 21, 2017
I haven't made the recipe yet - but have a question regarding freezing. Do you cook it, then freeze, then warm up? Or freeze the uncooked casserole, thaw, then bake as directed? Thanks!
Aug 20, 2017
I've been making this for at least 30 years. Everyone loves it. I use spicy, brown mustard and add some greyere cheese because that's our preference but everything else is the same. Delicious!
Aug 17, 2017
I make a similar recipe and it's one of our favorites. But I use a tube of crescent rolls for the crust, don't have to prebake. We also prefer co-jack or Mexican cheese. The rest is the same except the one thing that really makes this recipe. A big bunch of fresh basil, along with a little fresh oregano and parsley absolutely makes this dish and wouldn't bother making it without the fresh basil.
Jul 20, 2017
A super tasty side dish that everybody loved and wasn't too cheesy or eggy. The star was the zucchini! I added 1/4 cup of milk and no mustard, instead added some mustard powder to the egg mixture. Used a bought pie crust. Would make this again for sure :)
Jul 14, 2017
Great recipe when we had family over. Everyone loved it! Wouldn't change a thing
Jan 4, 2017
loved it very good