Cheesy Zucchini Saute
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the zucchini, basil, salt and garlic powder. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Sprinkle with the cheese, tomato and olives.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 157 calories, 13g fat (9g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 416mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 8, 2017
Love this side dish! It's a delicious with every grilled meat we've tried it with and is great leftover with scrambled eggs. Colorful and flavorful. Thank you for sharing your recipe, Doris!
Aug 1, 2017
Did the person who said this was soft and mushy. Did you happen to drain your zucchini really well, even to point of drying wth a paper towel? Might help your soggy problem!
Jun 29, 2016
The zucchini did not crisp up. It was very soft. After adding the cheese it turned out mushy and soft. I felt I was eating the inside of some stuffing. I think this might go well into a stuffed pepper and baked for 20 mins. I can't believe it was contest winning and got rave reviews. Maybe if the zucchini was cut up in slices and cooked in some olive oil, then add the other ingredients, it might be better. I didn't enjoy eating shredded zucchini. Would not make this again.
Jun 19, 2012
Love to make this when the basil and zucchini are fresh from the garden.
Sep 24, 2011
Made this dish this evening to go with tilapia for dinner. We thought it was FANTASTIC! Made it exactly as the recipe directed except in larger amounts. Very easy, flavorful, and fast which makes it a perfect side for fish. Will make this often due to its healthy content. Five stars for sure.
Jun 8, 2011
I make this recipe one or two times a week during the summer! My son loves his zucchini and he especially loves this recipe!
Apr 10, 2011
The basil is wonderful in this! Loved it!!