Golden Baked Onions
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, pepper and 2 cups cheese. Stir in onions.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Brush bread slices with melted butter on one side. Arrange buttered side up over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, broil 4-6 in. from heat until bread is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 642 calories, 47g fat (29g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 750mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
Dec 26, 2013
I thought this was ok, but my family loved it, so it must be just me. I think it needs a little seasoning other than pepper, so I might play with the ingrediants a little. I will also cut the recipe in half as this makes a lot.
Oct 13, 2011
Holy Smokes! This is so delicious. I started make it for every party I went to for a while and received raves. This is to die for.
Jul 8, 2010
I love this recipe. See it pictured on my page. The bread is the perfect topping. I too have used croutons which is great but I prefer the bread. I have made this dozens of times and we never get tired of it. I decided to try it with broccoli instead of onions and that was gobbled up fast as well. Really versatile and yummy good. The last time I made it the poker guys said, "Is that your wife's onions? Oh good she made the onions!" Thank you Chris Gaskill
Apr 1, 2010
My family loves this recipe! It is easy to make and delicious. It reminds me a creamy french onion soup. Everytime we gather for a holiday, my family and friends request that I bring this dish. The only thing I do differently is to use croutons on top, instead of the French bread. Thanks for sharing!