Baked Creamed Onions
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 5 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter for 5 minutes. Add water and allspice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Combine flour and evaporated milk until smooth; gradually stir into the onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in sugar and salt.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 192 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 31, 2014
Loved this dish. It is so easy to make and was a hit with the family. Like others have mentioned this is even better the next day! YUM!
Feb 7, 2014
This is not just the best onion casserole, it's one of the best side dishes I have ever made. It really is even better the next day! I have not made it yet for anyone who didn't love it, and serve it at my most elegant of dinner parties!
Dec 30, 2012
If you have too many onions- this is an excellent side dish. It could also be a great casserole topping if reduced just a little. All four of my children asked for more!
Dec 1, 2010
Easy and quite tasty. Kind of tastes like onion rings. Great side dish. Can be made the night before and cooked the next day.
Nov 21, 2010
Great Dish! It is just as good (if not better) warmed up the next day. I will be making this again.
Nov 30, 2009
This is the best creamed onion recipe I've ever tried! Everyone at my Thanksgiving table raved about it. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.