Gravy enhanced with giblets is traditional in our house. Try this hearty gravy with sage and a dash of wine and you’ll love it, too. —Jeff Locke, Arma, Kansas
Featured In: 12 Favorite Thanksgiving Gravy Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Giblets from 1 turkey, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage or 2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and 1/2 cup stock until smooth. In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add giblets; cook and stir 5-8 minutes or until browned.
- Add wine and sage to pan; cook 3-5 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add remaining stock; bring to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3-5 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper. Yield: 16 servings (about 1/4 cup each).
Originally published as Giblet Turkey Gravy in Taste of Home November 2014, p44