Mushroom Sour Cream Gravy
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makesabout 4-1/2 cups
- 1 pound small fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, saute mushrooms in 3 tablespoons butter in batches; set aside. In the same pan, saute onion and celery in 1 tablespoon butter. Add the flour, salt, pepper and remaining butter; cook and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and heat through. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 66 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Mar 29, 2020
This is nice but the flour still tasted raw after I was done making this gravy. I suggest and will toast the flour before making it next time. Also, seemed to be lacking and both my husband and I thought that red wine (dry) and Worchestershire sauce would help. So, I added probably a half tablesp. of sauce and about a quarter cup of red wine. I also added some more salt to our taste. After those additions, it was much improved.
Jan 2, 2018
Great recipe! The sour cream adds a slight tang that is perfect with poultry! I did cut the recipe in half and serve it with roasted chicken. In the future I will try it with beef, substituting beef stock for the water.