Mushroom Sour Cream Gravy
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makesabout 4-1/2 cups
- 1 pound small fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large cast-iron skillet, saute mushrooms in 3 tablespoons butter in batches; set aside. In the same pan, saute onion and celery in 1 tablespoon butter. Add the flour, salt, pepper and remaining butter; cook and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and heat through. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 66 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 2, 2018
Great recipe! The sour cream adds a slight tang that is perfect with poultry! I did cut the recipe in half and serve it with roasted chicken. In the future I will try it with beef, substituting beef stock for the water.