Quail in Mushroom Gravy
We live in an area with many Southern plantations, and quail are abundant. I cook this tasty dish with rich mushroom gravy often when my two boys are home. They think it makes a great meal. -Jean Williams, Hurtsboro, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 quail (1/3 to 1/2 pound each)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Combine 1/2 cup flour, salt and pepper; coat each quail. Melt butter in skillet; brown the quail. Transfer to an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In the pan drippings, saute the mushrooms until tender. Add remaining flour and stir to make a smooth paste. Add broth and thyme, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute or until thickened. Pour over the quail. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until tender and juices run clear. Serve over noodles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 249 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 871mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Quail in Mushroom Gravy in Taste of Home December/January 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.