Baked Pheasant in Gravy
Wondering how to cook pheasant? Let my recipe show you how! It is impressive enough to serve to company, but still easy to make on a weeknight. —Lou Bishop, Phillips, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 pheasant or grouse breast halves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 to 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions
- Mashed potatoes or hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and brown sugar; add pheasant pieces, one at time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown pheasant on both sides in butter. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Combine soup, water and broth until blended; pour over pheasant. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with onions. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Serve with potatoes or rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 1221 calories, 40g fat (15g saturated fat), 482mg cholesterol, 997mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 168g protein.
Originally published as Baked Pheasant in Gravy in Taste of Home August/September 2001