Chicken with Apple-Chardonnay Gravy
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours.
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large sweet apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chardonnay
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh oregano, rosemary and thyme
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place half of the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the apples, onion and celery; spoon half of the mixture over chicken. Repeat layers.
- In the same bowl, whisk wine, gravy mix, garlic and herbs until blended; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Cool apple mixture slightly; skim fat. In a blender, cover and process apple mixture in batches until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Serve with chicken and mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken leg quarter with 3/4 cup gravy (calculated without potatoes): 356 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Jan 19, 2016
This was the most bland chicken I have ever eaten. I had to throw mine out and make something else. Will not be making this ever again.
Oct 20, 2015
Chicken fell off the bone. I thin I would do breasts instead next time. Also, the gravy needs a thickener. Came out too runny. Overall tasted good though.
Oct 13, 2015
I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong, but I thought this was just ok. It tasted too much like onion and not enough like apple OR chardonnay. If I try it again, I'll try a different sweet apple, and put a lot less onion in.
Sep 20, 2015
This meal was awesome. I like my chicken crisper so I put chicken in oven and broiled flipped and broiled more. SWEET!!!!
Jul 20, 2014
Good recipe, my family enjoyed it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.