Pantry Mushroom Gravy
Keep these ingredients on hand to when you want to make gravy for recipes that don't make pan drippings. This gravy is excellent served with meat loaf, Salisbury steak, hamburgers or even leftover roast beef or pork.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion or 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid. Add enough water to mushroom liquid to measure 1-1/4 cups.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour, bouillon and pepper until blended. Add mushrooms. Gradually stir in mushroom liquid mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until gravy is thickened. If desired, stir in browning sauce.