Old-Fashioned Tomato Gravy
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 6 to 8 hot biscuits, split
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Cook onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir over low heat until mixture is golden brown. Gradually add tomatoes and tomato juice; stir well. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon. Serve over biscuits.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2018
I grew up calling this poor man's Gravy as I child I didn't realize how very little we had. My dad made this for us when mom was gone. This was my favorite breakfast especially over toast!Mom's was bologna gravy over toast, which I still crave.!!!
Oct 11, 2017
I added some tomato paste and a little sugar. Served over catfish patties, WOW!
Mar 17, 2016
I haven't tried it yet. But I think this is the way my Mother use to make it. I can't wait to fix it??
Aug 19, 2014
I grew up eating this. My momma would cook cubed steak, make the gravy...and place steak back in the gravy to let simmer until everything else was ready. It is one of those gravies that is simply wonderful with hot biscuits...which is a meal all by its self. I found this particular gravy to be excellent during our tomato season in the south...we do love our "mators". Thanks for posting this recipe. It's sure worth sharing with others!
Nov 3, 2012
I've always loved tomato gravy...but mine was just a very basic butter, flour and canned tomato version. This one kicks it up with the bacon and onion, which I'd never thought of and compliments it for what normally use it for: over Mac 'n Cheese or Salmon Cakes. Great, easy comfort food. Thanks!
Sep 29, 2012
I have missed those mornings with Mother's tomato gravy simmering on the stove in a large cast iron skillet, but I never had her recipe. Googled it and wound up here. Imagine my surprise and joy to see my mother's recipe posted by my daughter-in-law, Laurie! I HAVE to give it 5 stars... rich tomato and bacon flavor, and no, it wasn't sweet at all. Perfect!
Apr 21, 2012
I have been trying to duplicate tomato gravy that my neighbor made for me once years ago. She would not give me the recipe. This is close, but I need to make it sweeter and a little lighter in color, texture is almost there. Was great for a first go around. Thanks for posting it!