Beef with Red Wine Gravy
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Place the beef, mushrooms and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, wine, gravy mix, tomato paste, salt and bay leaf. Pour over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 437 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 47g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 24, 2016
Very delicious & easy. I used only 2 lbs of stew meat & a large jar of mushrooms. Will definitely make this again!
Apr 5, 2016
Made this as a beef stew; flavor was rich but my husband didn't love it and leftovers didn't disappear quickly
Sep 27, 2013
Quick and easy to make but flavor was just so-so.
Dec 12, 2012
Excellent flavor and gravy,did not need to thicken with cornstarch.
Sep 14, 2012
This was delicious and so easy. Smelled so good cooking when I came home from work. I didn't add the cornstarch--forgot, but it was still delicious. Will make this often.
Sep 5, 2012
This was absolutely delicious. I have made this several times and my family loves it. I've made it with and without the red wine, just used additional beef brock and the taste is great either way.
Mar 16, 2012
Definitely tasty and very easy.
Jun 16, 2011
I actually don't add the cornstarch or water to make a gravy. I use the juice to cook my rice in instead of serving beef over noodles.1 cup of rice to 2 cups of liquid-It comes out perfect every time!
Mar 19, 2011
The best beef stew I've ever made! Very simple too!
Feb 14, 2011
I made this recipe with 2 lbs of stew meat and it was still plenty. It cooked for about 12 hours because i had a long day at work! Its was fabulous. I also added 2 beef boullion cubes to add more flavor.