You might want to make a double batch of this rich apple gravy. Yep, it's sensational with beef, but you've gotta try it on mashed potatoes, chops, roasted veggies—pretty much anything goes. —Kathryn Conrad, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 large apple (Jonagold or Honeycrisp), peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup apple brandy
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, optional
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add apple; saute until dark brown, adding 1 teaspoon butter to prevent scorching. Remove from heat; add brandy. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Add broth and salt. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Using a blender or an immersion blender, puree apple mixture. Return to saucepan; simmer until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat. Whisk in remaining butter. If desired, add pepper.
Test Kitchen tip