Macaroni Au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; reduce heat. Add cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and mustard; stir until cheese melts.
- Pour over macaroni and mix well. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 389 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Dec 13, 2015
This had great flavor and texture. Not too creamy but not dry at all like some baked ones can become. We used dehydrated onion (rehydrated) and it was the perfect small dice to add flavor with lumps and bumps in the sauce. Added the onion, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to the roux cooking it a bit to let the flavors meld before adding milk. Instead of velveeta we used 4oz cubed American along with 2oz shredded swiss, 2oz shredded cojack and 2oz shredded mild cheddar (which is a tad bit more cheese than original recipe but it turned out great). I was tempted to use more macaroni than called for but after it baked it was thee perfect ratio of pasta to cheese sauce. Will keep this recipe as a repeat as it was easy and the family gave their stamp of approval and best of all the refrig had no leftovers. Fed a family of 4 hearty eaters as a side with a light protein at the center of the plate.
Sep 8, 2014
Very creamy and flavorful; we loved it!!
Jan 9, 2014
I have learned 2 ways of making this dish. When I want a cheese sauce, this is what I make. I have modified it with extra sharp cheddar cheese and at times used evaporatd milk instead of regular milk (more economical). This is excellent.
Oct 14, 2013
was really good, used 1/2 white sharp cheddar and 1/2 velveeta, did use more mac the second time than it called for, still good!
Aug 29, 2013
This was really good and typically I'm not a big fan of macaroni and cheese. I used sharp cheddar cheese instead of Velveeta as that is what I had on hand. I didn't have any onion so I put a tsp of onion powder in the milk mixture and added dried minced onions to the top. Our family of four ate it right up. (I don't think this recipe would serve 6).
May 1, 2013
Great recipe. I used fresh grated extra sharp cheddar instead of Velveeta. Also put extra cheese on top along with panko bread crumbs for crunch. Have made several times already. Very good.
May 6, 2012
Fantastic, will make again and again! Even my husband, who is a professional cook loved it and believe me that's a compliment. Thank you for an easy, enjoyable recipe with ingredients you always have on hand. The only change I would make is adding shredded chedder on top!!!!