Moist Turkey Breast with White Wine Gravy
I modified a favorite dish for slow cooker ease. It’s moist and tender each time and perfectly complemented by the white wine gravy. It’s best with drinking wine, not cooking wine. —Tina MacKissock, Manchester, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fennel bulb
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (3 pounds) frozen boneless turkey breast roast, thawed
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the wine, apple, fennel, celery, carrot, garlic, mustard and bay leaf. In a small bowl, combine the rosemary, thyme, sage and pepper; rub over turkey. Add turkey to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Strain drippings into a measuring cup to measure 1 cup. Skim fat. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cream; stir until smooth. Gradually add drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked turkey with 3 tablespoons gravy : 238 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 43g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Moist Turkey Breast with White Wine Gravy in Simple & Delicious April/May 2011