When I think Frankenstein's monster I think Halloween. Give this guy a try this year they are the cutest! These rolls are so fun to make and even more tasty. I love getting creative with the different faces I can make. You can make half as Frankenstein's monster and half plain, with the nori on the outside, to cut your prep time down. Mixed up on the plate the effect looks great. Keeping this fun little appetizer veggie is a super plus. Not only do you not need to worry about raw fish sitting on a counter all night, but it keeps things veg-friendly for all of your guests.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + standing Cook: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup sushi rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon green food coloring
- 4 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 nori sheets
- 1 small carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 medium cucumber, seeded and cut into long strips
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Black food coloring
- 1 tablespoon prepared wasabi
- Soy sauce, pickled ginger slices and additional wasabi, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine rice, water and green food coloring; let stand 30 minutes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until water is absorbed and rice tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat; drizzle with seasoned vinegar. With a wooden paddle or spoon, stir rice with a slicing motion to cool slightly. Cover with a damp cloth to keep moist.
- Place half the rice on a sushi mat or clean dish towel topped with plastic wrap. With moistened fingers, press rice into an 8-in. square. Top with one nori sheet. Set aside eight carrot matchsticks. Arrange half of cucumber, avocado and remaining carrot about 1-1/2 in. from bottom of nori sheet. Roll up rice mixture over filling, using mat or towel to lift and compress; remove plastic wrap as you roll. Remove mat or towel. Using wet, sharp serrated knife, slice roll into four pieces. Repeat with second nori sheet and remaining rice, cucumber, avocado and carrot.
- Shred remaining nori sheet to resemble hair strands; with wet hands, press strands onto rice. Halve reserved carrot matchsticks; press two into each roll to look like bolts.
- Add black food coloring to prepared wasabi; pipe facial expressions on sushi pieces. Refrigerate until serving. If desired, serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger slices and additional wasabi.
Editor's NoteLook for nori sheets in the international foods section.
Originally published as Frankensushi in Halloween Bookazine 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.