- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer; keep hot. In another large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add rice and lemon zest; cook and stir until rice is coated, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in wine. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook and stir until wine is absorbed. Add hot broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until broth has been absorbed after each addition; add broccoli after half the broth has been added. Cook until rice is tender but firm to the bite and risotto is creamy. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and lemon juice. Sprinkle with thyme. Serve immediately.
2/3 cup: 201 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 0.500 fat.