- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer; keep hot. In another large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add rice and lemon zest; cook and stir until rice is coated, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in wine. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook and stir until wine is absorbed. Add hot broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until broth has been absorbed after each addition, adding broccoli after half the broth has been added. Cook until rice is tender but firm to the bite, and risotto is creamy. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and lemon juice. Sprinkle with thyme. Serve immediately.
2/3 cup: 201 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 0.500 fat.