Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2-1/3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain or Italian Arborio rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Saute garlic and broccoli until garlic is soft, about 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup chicken broth, 3 tablespoons parsley, and salt and paper to taste. Simmer, uncovered, just until broccoli is tender, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan. Cook onion until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice and stir until rice is coated. Add wine or broth; cook until wine is, stirring constantly.
- In small saucepan, heat remaining broth and keep warm. Stir 2/3 cup warm broth into rice mixture. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, 1/3 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Rice will be creamy and grains tender when done. (Total cooking time is about 25 minutes.)
- Stir in the lemon juice, butter, 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and reserved broccoli. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 247 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 473mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 14, 2013
This risotto is fabulous. I used only 1/2 the oil called for, and added a little extra broccoli - this is a great way to use up part of a head of broccoli.
Mar 1, 2012
This risotto was amazing! I opted for the wine rather than the broth...the flavor was amazing! This is sure to be a reoccuring dish in my home, and is nice enough to serve for company.