- 4 to 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet, saute shallots in butter until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the rice, thyme and pepper; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine and lemon juice; cook and stir until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add the peas, cheese and lemon zest; cook until heated through. Serve immediately.
1/2 cup: 206 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 407mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 0.500 fat.