Quick Broccoli with Lemon Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes10 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce)
- 3 pounds fresh broccoli spears
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- Place broccoli in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, heat broth and butter until butter is melted. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice and peel. Drain broccoli; serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 76 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Dec 26, 2010
REMEMBER TO PLACE BROCOLLI IN A BOWL OF ICE WATER FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE COOKING. THIS STEP WILL ALLOW BROCOLLI TO RETAIN A DARK GREEN COLOR WHEN COOKING.
Oct 15, 2010
This was okay...didn't seem to yield much sauce.
Nov 11, 2009
a great twist on serving broccoli