Broccoli with Orange Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen broccoli spears
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 medium navel orange, thinly sliced
- Place broccoli and a small amount of water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and bouillon. Stir in water, orange juice and zest until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened.
- Drain broccoli and place in a serving bowl. Garnish with orange slices and drizzle with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 54 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Dec 25, 2014
I loved this side dish. I used the zest of one orange and then cut up two oranges to use in the dish itself.
Nov 20, 2012
The orange sauce is very good; we didn't like the sweetness with broccoli, though. I'll remember the sauce recipe to use over fruit.
Jul 21, 2011
Thank you so much for this recipe, eating broccoli has never been so tasty!