Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, cut into spears
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place the broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the cornstarch, seasonings and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheddar cheese and Worcestershire sauce until cheese is melted. Drain the broccoli; top with cheese sauce.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 134 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 reduced-fat milk.
May 1, 2013
Wonderful recipe and a very healthy addition to any meal. The cheese sauce is easy to make. Don't try to hurry it or it will burn. A little of the sauce goes a long way. I didn't change a thing but one could add other seasonings to give it a little variety if so desired.
Mar 6, 2013
Are you kidding me? This nasty sauce ruined some perfectly good broccoli. I'm going back to Cheeze-Whiz.
Feb 8, 2010
We loved this recipe! It also works great as a warm dip for bread or other vegetables.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.