Cheese Sauce Over Cauliflower
The cheese sauce makes cauliflower hard to resist...even for picky eaters! I like to serve this vegetable dish at holidays and also for lunch along with pork sausage links, croissants and a green salad. —Ruby Zein, Monona, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water, cauliflower and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-15 minutes or until cauliflower is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and thyme until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Drain and pat cauliflower dry; place on a serving platter. Top with cheese sauce; sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 237 calories, 16g fat (11g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 890mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Cheese Sauce Over Cauliflower in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002