Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in the wine, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.)
- Add the spinach, peas, cheese and reserved asparagus; cook and stir until heated through. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 203 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 17, 2015
This was a good recipe. I think next time I will add more cheese and serve the asparagus as a side. Easy to make just labor intensive with all the stirring. It tasted great.