Garden Orzo Risotto
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute zucchini and shallot in oil until almost tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the orzo, broth and milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Stir in the spinach, tomatoes and basil; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 202 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jul 25, 2016
cooker69 Orzo is a pasta, you can find it with other pasta shapes in your local market. Risotto is typically an Italian rice dish made from Arborio rice, this recipe is an easy shortcut to a creamy side dish.When you cook with Arborio rice, it's a slower process. The rice is super starchy and you have to let it absorb liquid in stages to keep it from becoming a big clump.Hope that helps!
Jul 24, 2016
so sorry this is not a review, but TOH does not have a question section . What is the differance between arborio rice ,orzo,and risotto?
Jul 14, 2015
Yum! Very good! I doubled the recipe and used chicken broth instead of vegetable. Creamy and full of flavor. I will definitely make this again!
Oct 13, 2013
I will make this recipe again! Easy to make and tastes great!
Oct 7, 2013
This was a nice side dish... Very colorful and eye appealing. Also easy to throw together.
Jul 4, 2013
This was great. No leftovers!
May 11, 2013
This was so amazing. My non-vegetarian family did not have any complaints about it and ate seconds and thirds. I can't wait to make it again. I would add 3 cups of vegetable broth next time, not 2, to make it creamier!
Jul 12, 2012
I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth and I substituted whipped cream for the milk because I don't like tangling with boiled milk.This recipe is perfect. I can't wait to try it with arborio rice in a crockpot.
Jul 12, 2012
I substituted chicken broth for the vegetable broth and it was excellent!