Farmers Market Orzo Salad
Orzo is a tiny pasta shaped like rice. We like to use it as a base for veggies, lemony vinaigrette and cheeses like mozzarella, feta or smoked Gouda. —Heather Dezzutto, Raleigh, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) orzo pasta
- 2 small yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 8 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Brush yellow squash, zucchini and onion with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill vegetables, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10-12 minutes or until lightly charred and tender, turning once. Cool slightly. Cut into 1-in. pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice and remaining oil until blended. In a large bowl, combine orzo, grilled vegetables, mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and remaining salt and pepper. Add dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 291 calories, 27g fat (7g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Farmer's Market Orzo Salad in Grill It 2016 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.