Grilled Vegetable Orzo Salad
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet yellow or red pepper, halved
- 1 large portobello mushroom, stem removed
- 1/2 medium red onion, halved
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Place vegetables in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Add to vegetables and toss to coat.
- Remove vegetables, reserving dressing. Grill mushroom, pepper and onion, covered, over medium heat 5-10 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Grill asparagus and zucchini, covered, 3-4 minutes or until desired doneness, turning occasionally.
- When cool enough to handle, cut vegetables into bite-size pieces. In a large bowl, combine cooked orzo, grilled vegetables, tomatoes, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and reserved dressing; toss to combine. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until cold. Just before serving, stir in cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 260 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 24, 2015
I've made this several times, it is absolutely delicious! I add goat cheese crumbles in place of the feta. It is fantastic and always a big hit!
Apr 24, 2015
This sounds delicious. I plan to make it today using Quinoa.
Jun 15, 2014
Jun 2, 2014
Also I made this salad for my barbeque party. My guest went crazy over it !!!!
May 28, 2014
This recipe is a favorite of mine, perfect for summertime. I make a boatload for parties and it disappears every time. Use the good whole feta & cut it in chunks yourself. I found it on Ina Garten's website, she bakes her veggies on a big sheet & includes eggplant & toasted pignoli nuts (pine nuts)...otherwise it's a similar recipe. It is even better the next day. You literally can't stop eating it. Good on a hot day, a nice stable salad dish (no mayo) you can make ahead & assemble at the last minute. It's good warm, cold...standing in front of the fridge. Yummo!
Apr 28, 2014
this is one of the best pasta salads i have made..it is very versatile and you can add chicken to this and make it a meal and serve warm..i used fresh mozarella in this recipe and worked well..
Aug 31, 2013
This is such a great recipe for summer time when there are lots of fresh veggies. But...I loved the smell so much in cooking it that I served mine warm. I did have quite a few more mushrooms and I fixed chicken breasts on the side if anyone wanted one. However...mostly they ate this salad. Served some warm bread on the side too.
Aug 16, 2013
I used rice instead of orzo, as well, and served with shredded turkey. It was outstanding.
Jul 10, 2013
This was delicious!
Jun 30, 2013
This salad is excellent! Orzo is a nice change from traditional pasta salads. I did throw in some cooked wild rice, as I am from northern Minnesota where it is abundant & I like to put it in alot of my salads.