Summertime Orzo & Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir chicken over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add cucumber, onion, parsley and pasta. In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper; toss with chicken mixture. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve cold. Top with cheese before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 320 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 742mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 14, 2018
We love this and make it often, I have a teen who doesn't care for feta or cucumber, but she loves this dish! We do find the raw onion a bit strong, so we half the amount, and add in chopped baby spinach.
Jun 6, 2015
Liked this a lot...put it on a wrap for lunch. It does make quite a bit so if you're on your own might want to adjust ingredients to make less.
Jul 30, 2012
Used pepper jack cheese and extra lemon juice. Spun the dressing in the blender and it was delish. Will make this again and again.
May 27, 2011
I had to replace the feta with mozzarella b/c my DH doesn't like Feta so maybe that's why it didn't have much flavor. It definitely needs to be made a day ahead so the flavors can meld.
Oct 23, 2010
Wonderful! This recipe has become one of my family staples. Great as leftovers.
Oct 15, 2010
I have made this several times, and with different variations, such as using a different pasta, with or without chicken, doubling or tripling the lemon and oil mixture, adding minced or crushed garlic to the mixture, and using sea salt. It was a hit at a recent potluck and everyone asked for the recipe. It is a wonderful recipe and can be fit to appeal to your own tastes. Very versatile and I highly recommend it to anyone needing something different.
Sep 29, 2010
This was quick to make and even better than I thought it would be. I cooked the onions with the chicken because I don't like raw onions, and left out the feta. I'll definitely make it again.
Sep 28, 2010
I loved this recipe. I am not a fan of cucumbers so I left them out. It was easy to make and cheap! I will make again. My husband didn't love it though. He thought the onions were a bit overpowering.
Sep 13, 2010
We made this recipe twice already! The flavor is great and refreshing. We even added asparagus to it the second time and that was a wonderful addition too! The guest we had for dinner the first time we made it was sold on the dish. We recommend it to all our friends whom like to cook, but need an easy recipe that is delish!
Sep 8, 2010
We added green grapes, grape or pear tomatoes and used 4-cheese combination instead of feta