Italian Sausage Orzo
This light dish is perfect for any night of the week, and it looks as good as it tastes! If you have leftover sauteed mushrooms or other vegetables, toss them in as well. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 8 cups water
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta (about 8 ounces)
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Stir in orzo; return to a boil. Cook until al dente, 8-10 minutes. Drain orzo, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and crumble sausage with onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, roasted pepper, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and orzo. Heat through over medium-low heat; stir in reserved cooking liquid to moisten if desired. Remove from heat; stir in basil and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 265 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
May 31, 2018
I made this exactly as written. I found it really easy and really good. You could easily tweak this recipe by adding more vegetables to bump up the nutrition value. I will definitely be making this again.