Italian Sausage Orzo
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 8 cups water
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta (about 8 ounces)
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Stir in orzo; return to a boil. Cook until al dente, 8-10 minutes. Drain orzo, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and crumble sausage with onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, roasted pepper, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and orzo. Heat through over medium-low heat; stir in reserved cooking liquid to moisten if desired. Remove from heat; stir in basil and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 265 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 31, 2018
I made this exactly as written. I found it really easy and really good. You could easily tweak this recipe by adding more vegetables to bump up the nutrition value. I will definitely be making this again.