Lamb with Orzo
Looking to switch up you slow-cooker staples? Consider this lamb entree. A terrific meal-in-one, it certainly adds flair to dinnertime doldrums. A splash of lmeon juice and zesty lemon peel complement the flavors of fresh spinach and feta cheese.—Dan Kelmenson, West Bloomfield, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder roast (3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) orzo pasta
- 2 packages (9 ounces each) fresh spinach, torn divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese, divided
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Drizzle with lemon juice. Sprinkle with the garlic, oregano, lemon peel and salt. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Remove lamb from slow cooker. Shred meat with two forks; set aside and keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices if necessary; return 1 cup cooking juices to slow cooker. Add one package of spinach. Cook on high for 5-10 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Drain orzo; add to spinach mixture. Stir in reserved meat and 1/2 cup feta cheese.
- To serve, arrange remaining fresh spinach on nine individual plates. Top with lamb mixture. Sprinkle each with remaining feta cheese.